British and Canadian citizenship? You better get a Canadian passport PDQ

Canadian passport

British and Canadian? You’ll need one of these to fly back into Canada from September 30

Pretty oldish news, but important. If you have dual British and Canadian citizenship, as of September 30, 2016, you will need a Canadian passport to be allowed to fly back into Canada.

So you have about a month to sort that out.

From Metro Toronto:

“‘What is changing is that the Government of Canada is implementing a new electronic system to assist airlines in verifying that all travellers have the appropriate documents to travel to or transit through Canada by air,’ Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada spokesperson Lindsay Wemp told Torstar News Service.

“‘Air carriers are obligated by law to confirm that all persons seeking to travel to Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid Canadian passport satisfies these requirements for Canadian citizens, and is the only acceptable travel document for the purpose of air travel.’

“Currently, Canadian citizens with dual citizenships can use the passport of the other country to enter Canada by air if they can provide proofs of residency in Canada, such as a driver’s licence and Canadian citizenship card.”

Full story here.


1 thought on “British and Canadian citizenship? You better get a Canadian passport PDQ

  1. Pingback: British and Canadian citizenship? You get a break on new passport rules … until November 10 | Brits In Toronto

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s